• The term morphology is Greek and is a makeup of morph- meaning ‘shape, form’, and -ology which means ‘the study of something’.
• Morphology as a sub-discipline of linguistics was named for the first time in 1859 by the German linguist August Schleicherwho used the term for the study of the form of words.
What is a word?
Smallest independent units of language
1. do not depend on other words.
2. can be separated from other units
3. can change position.
The man looked at the horses.
• s is the plural marker, dependent on the noun horse to receive meaning
• Horses is a word: can occur in other positions or stand on its own